Decorating & Furniture/Color and Accessories

Question
Living room
Living room  
Hello Jenny,

Thank you for taking the time to help me.  I need some color in my living room and suggestions to give it some appeal.  There is a picture window and a cathedral ceiling with a ceiling fan. The color of the carpet is Chamois.  My walls are painted with Benjamin Moore paint #1037 (Muslim).  My sofa and chair is sort of a medium camel or brown color. Since this picture was taken, I have put a mirror behind the couch ( the Province Mirror I purchased from the Touch of Class catalog). It has a bronze finish. The coffee and end tables are medium oak (would glass tables look better?).  My lace curtains are between an ecru or beige (can you suggest what kind and or color curtains would look better?)  Also, what color picture frames, pillows, candles, lamps, etc. would you suggest?  In other words if this was your living room what would you do with it?  :-)  I have attached a picture of my livingroom.  I hope you will be able to open it.  I'm not too great on the computer.

Once, again thank you Jenny so very much.  I really appreciate your help.  Have a Happy Easter!!

Anne  

Answer
Anne,

Thanks for sending along the photo which came through great!  

Let's start with the wall color.  I'd recommend that you darken it a couple to three shades (off the same color sample) so that there is more contrast between the ceiling (which is great and should be played up) and the walls.  As long as the paint color is a lighter shade than your sofa, you'll be fine.  

I'd also opt for some darker wood pieces for your coffee and end tables, or if you can find a bronze with glass, that would be more befitting your style preferences.  

The curtains are fine, but I'd suggest adding some camel colored drapes (to match your couch) and again, if you find some drapery panels that incorporate a stripe (with bronze and off-white) all the better.  

Since you've opted for the bronze, I'd stay with either bronze or black frames, add pillows in dark bronze and (hold on) red (for punch) and keep your lamps tall and simple in black.

Hope this helps!

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik