Decorating & Furniture/Color and Accessories

Hello Jenny,

I need some advice on color.  My living room walls are painted with Benjamin Moore paint #1037 (Muslim).  My sofa and chair is a medium camel color and my carpeting is the color of chamois.  I want to bring some color into this room.  Any suggestions as to what color would look good with what I have?  What color or type of curtains, lamps, pillows, and picture frames would you suggest I use?  My end and coffee tables are a medium oak.  Should I keep these tables as is?  Would glass tables look better?

Thank you Jenny for any suggestions you may have.  I really appreciate it!

Anne   :-)

Hi Anne,

You have enough beige, so opt for something a bit more daring.  Select your favorite color, i.e., what color you wear most, and incorporate that color into your space.  You obviously like brown tones, and that's fine, just punch up the space with some chocolate brown (dark, rich and oh so popular now) and maybe red or blue.  

If you like a more traditional look, keep the oak.  If you prefer a more sophisticated style, opt for glass.  

Again - if your preference is traditional, find some beautiful draperies that incorporate all the colors (plus the punch of new color) that is in your space.  If you prefer more sophisticated and modern, then opt for a strong solid or pin stripe drapery.  If chocolate brown is your punch color, get drapes in the solid chocolate brown and add red or blue accents in pillows or throws.  

Lamps - traditional:  wood or matching glass lamps; contemporary:  clear glass with chrome and of course white shades or standing floor lamps in chrome.  Pillows - traditional:  multi-colors, with or without fringe; contemporary - solid color, stripe or sleek with no trims.

Hope this helps you decide.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology