Decorating & Furniture/Color to paint kitchen walls

Hello Jenny

I have a fairly small kitchen with that has antique- black cabinets and black appliances. I recently installed a very light color cork flooring and it will soon have a light color Corian (color:fossil)countertop. The previous owner painted the walls an apricot/peach color. She also painted the ceiling the same color which really darkens the room. It has a corner window facing north east, so gets some light, but not much direct sunlight.

I plan on painting the ceiling white to lighten it up. What color should I paint the walls? Would a light grey or blue be a good choice? There are some flecks of grey in the Corian color.  My home is  pretty casual.

The adjoining dining area is a cream color and I want the kitchen to be a bit different.

Thanks for your time & advice.

Hi Susan,

A pale blue would be very nice.  Paint the ceiling white or off-white (whatever the adjoining spaces have on them) which will add some "lift" to the room.  

Pale grey would work as well, but I think you'll be happiest with the blue.

Thanks for writing!

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology