Decorating & Furniture/Decorating & Painting an Open Floor Plan Apartment

Question

I'm purchasing a two bedroom apartment and love the fact that the living room and dining room are adjoined in an open floor plan. The apartment has hardwood light oak floors. I'm just a bit confused as to how to show the separation between the living room and dinning area. Also, I love warm colors but do not know what warm colors to choose which would go well on the walls and furniture. I want like to pick paint colors that will bring more light into the space since there are only two windows in the room. Can you please give me some color ideas that would make the place more inviting and warm without closing it off? Also, what type of furniture would go well?

Thanks,
Clari

Answer
Hi Clarie, I cannot give you an exact colour scheme as that would be based on the colour of your furniture and accessories.  What I can tell you is how to achieve an overall cohesive look.  If you look at a strip of a colour fan, from your local paint store you will see that there may be eight or seven shades on that strip.  You would choose a colour from that strip and then use two or threes shades of the same colour to define each area in your space. I like to use the middle shade for the living/family room (if you think it is too dark, then move up a shade lighter)  the darker one for the kitchen/dining and lightest for architectural features, hallway and entry.  
Also for your furniture make sure your larger pieces of furniture are a neutral colour.  Use colour for you accessories and smaller items.

I also offer an 'Ask the Decorator' service on my website. I would be happy to be of further assistance to you if needed.
Thank you, for your time.

Shamim Razvi
The Eighth Haven
www.eighthaven.

Decorating & Furniture

Shamim Razvi