Decorating & Furniture/Dining room curtains for a 1927 bungalow

Question
In October we purchased a cute little bungalow in a small town.  There are many improvements that NEED to be made, but I am currently working on window treatments.  I am stuck in our dining room right now.  We have a little out cove that could easily fit a built in bench seating for a dining table area.  The wall in this out cove is completely windows, roughly 4 foot by 8 foot.  The windows are the originals.  I would like to cover these windows with something that is fitting to the 1927 style, while keeping the neighbors from being able to look in all the time.  I love the light the windows put out, but don't want peeping eyes to see everything at all hours of the day/night.  The windows are directly across the way from my daughter's bedroom, so discretion is needed.  What do I do about these windows?

Answer
Hi Heather,

Thanks for writing.  

First of all treat the grouping of windows as "one" window when adding window treatments (curtains, draperies etc.).  For more privacy, I'd suggest some faux wood blinds or "Roman Shades", both available from your local home improvement store.  The blinds or shades can be made to fit each window and are relatively inexpensive.  Then, treating all the windows as one, hang drapery panels (1 pair) outside the alcove to "frame" the window.  These can be patterned or solid in color.  I'd suggest considering a stripe to make the eye go up, thus making the room appear taller.  

Either blinds or shades will give you privacy and a good look with a beautiful pair of draperies.

Best of luck,

Jenny

PS:  Pull down shades were popular in the 1927 era, so if you'd prefer them, the home improvement store will have a good selection!

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik