Decorating & Furniture/Entry Way

We have a early 60's house. two story and I believe they call it a cathedral entrance. Small landing; stairs up to main floor and stairs down to lower level. Wood railings. I need new ideas for it. Want to put something else on stairs as the carpet is old and worn. Want to retile floor. Can you suggest colors, lighting? anything to help update the look? Currently have track lighting and a picture on one wall. Quite high walls and an open cut out to living room.
Thank you

Hi Sharon, To update the look you may want to even consider re-finishing your wood railings if they're a little worn.  That in itself would make a big difference.  If you lay down a new floor and new carpet on the stairs keep the colours as similar as possible in a warm neutral.  Also for the walls, a light coloured warm neutral, again keeping within the same colour family.  Track lighting is perfect for this space.  You may want to add a couple of more pictures, framed in the same colour frame, black and white photos will look really elegant and timeless.
I also offer an 'Ask the Decorator' service on my website. I would be happy to be of further assistance to you if needed.
Thank you, for your time.

Shamim Razvi
The Eighth Haven

Decorating & Furniture

Shamim Razvi

I can answer anything in general about decorating, i.e. Space planning,colour co-ordinating, furniture placement, choosing the most suitable accessories,fabrics,lighting, window, wall and floor treatments. I cannot answer questions about structural or architectural changes.

I have been decorating for the past five years and running my own decorating business: The Eighth Haven,, for over a year.

I am a graduate of QC Design School, in the field of Professional Design and Decorating as a certified Interior Decorator and Professional Colour Consultant.