Decorating & Furniture/Kitchen floor and paint color

Question
Jenny, we redid our kitchen 20 years ago with nice oak cabinets and glacier white Corian countertops.  I still like them, but I can't seem to get the wall color right and the floor (currently a white and black linoleum) needs to be replaced.  

My house is a 1929 colonial revival.  I have a fair amount of jadeite accessories I'd like to display.  The floor probably needs to be vinyl or linoleum, and I'm at a loss to figure out what would be attractive and classic!  Help!

Answer
Hi Kathryn,

Thanks for writing and for your questions.  

If you're considering vinyl or linoleum, visit your local home improvement store and look at the array of beautiful peel and stick tiles.  Back in the day these were unsightly, curled on the edges and you had two colors to choose from, but now the quality and selection are abundant.  They're also user friendly in that once you find the center of your floor and start from there, it's a very easy process to lay the floor.  

Your choices will include everything from a wood floor look (and not just parquet) to stone.  I'd opt one of the two (wood plank or stone) for your kitchen.  Either will automatically update the look.

As for the wall color, you may want to try one of the newer shades of grey.  Grey has become the new "black", and is a very popular color for interiors.  A blue grey will work best against your oak cabinets, and will be a beautiful backdrop for your jadeite accessories.  

Hope this helps you!

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik