Decorating & Furniture/Laminate wood: Continuing a previous installment

Question
Hi Shamim,

I've just bought a new house and the main floor has an oak coloured laminate wood floor in the hallway and kitchen, but the living room has an off white carpet.

We want to carry the wood laminate into the living room but are unable to find the same colour and brank of laminate that was used. We know what it is as there is 1 box left in the basement. We're also told that if we do find the right product, the colour might be different because of the batch. The space leading from the hall to the living room is an oversized open doorway. I wouldn't mind doing a dark coloured wood laminate in the living room but I'm afraid that would look odd. Any suggestions? Thanks so much.

Answer
Hi Cheryl, It is absolutely fine to do a dark colored wood in your living room.  It would only look odd if it looked like you were trying to match the laminate in your hallway and kitchen, and didn't succeed.   So in this case you would choose a dark expresso coloured flooring and make it completely stand out on its own.  
Wish you luck.
I also offer an 'Ask the Decorator' service on my website. I would be happy to be of further assistance to you if needed.
Thank you, for your time.

Shamim Razvi
The Eighth Haven
www.eighthaven.com

Decorating & Furniture

Shamim Razvi