Decorating & Furniture/Need help choosing paint color

office area
office area  

We are remodeling an old log home and are in the process of doing part of the upstairs. the first part of the upstairs we are making an office space and cannot decide on a color for the walls.  The two side walls have dark square logs on the bottom half with white in between the logs(we love the logs and will be refinishing them), and above the logs there is light pine wood on the ceiling and angled part of the ceiling which meets the log. The wall with a very small window has logs half way up and then dry wall and the opposite wall(all drywall) has an angle in it and ends at an opening to another part of the upstairs. On the wall with all drywall, there is also a door to my daughter's room which we are also working on. I am trying to decide on a paint color for the office area which has one small window and not a lot of natural light. I love the dark warm orange or reddish orange colors, but cannot find one I like and am afraid it may be too dark for the space? I also thought maybe a lighter yellow, but I read something about figuring out the percentage of light in the room with all the lights on and saturation. I read that something light does not necessarily make the room brighter. It can look dingy and dirty if there is not enough natural light hitting it. It also said that darker colors can make the room feel warm and cozy. I am lost as too what color to pick. My style is extremely rustic, but I also love the tuscan feel. I need someone to give me a couple paint colors(exact brand and color name). I am looking at Pittsburg paint, behr, Glidden, Ralph Lauren and Dutch Boy.  Right now I am leaning towards a color called tango by Sherwin Williams, but need an opinion on whether that would be a good color or if something else(exact brand and color name) would be better. We would like to paint as soon as possible. Here is a photo of part of the room(I took it early morning, so it does get a bit brighter in the room later in the day, but only a bit). I can only send 1 picture for some reason. The wall opposite the one in the picture is the one with all drywall. If you need pictures of other parts of the room, please let me know.  I would appreciate any suggestions as soon as possible. We would like to paint as soon as possible.   

Hi Kathy,  Depending on the room, darker colours don't necessarily make a room look smaller, it's a bold contrast in colours that gives the illusion of less space.  Having said this, for this space I would suggest a lighter coloured shade, because of the dark 'heavy' wood on the lower walls, and the lack of natural light coming in.  Taking into consideration that you are open to yellow tones I would suggest Behr's Manila Tint (310A-3), a light, warm yellow.  Sorry, I couldn't find the right shade of an orange/red.
I also offer an 'Ask the Decorator' service on my website. I would be happy to be of further assistance to you if needed.
Thank you, for your time.

Shamim Razvi
The Eighth Haven

Decorating & Furniture

Shamim Razvi

I can answer anything in general about decorating, i.e. Space planning,colour co-ordinating, furniture placement, choosing the most suitable accessories,fabrics,lighting, window, wall and floor treatments. I cannot answer questions about structural or architectural changes.

I have been decorating for the past five years and running my own decorating business: The Eighth Haven,, for over a year.

I am a graduate of QC Design School, in the field of Professional Design and Decorating as a certified Interior Decorator and Professional Colour Consultant.