Decorating & Furniture/Stained interior doors

Question
Hello! An answer to your question:

I have a colonial house built in 1941, with plaster walls and rooms painted in different colors and white trim to accent.  Our stair railing has painted white balusters with stained oak handrails, which are a close match to the red oak hardwood floors which we have had stained in Minwax "provincial" to give you an idea of color.  I am now about to replace all of the interior doors in the house with solid hardwood and stain them, while maintaining the white trim.  My question is, would cherry wood doors or maple wood doors stained to look like cherry compete with the oak floors?  I really like the look of a medium/dark cherry stain against the white trim but worry that everything will clash.  Also, is it a mistake to have some of the downstairs doors painted and some stained?  There are not too many of them, just a powder room door, which is off of the kitchen and adjacent to the exterior side door and a closet door in the front foyer, which is adjacent to the front door.  There is
also a single french door which connects the dining room to our enclosed porch, which we are planning to replace with a similarly fashioned double paned stained version.  My last question is about the front entry door.  We want to strip it and paint it red.  Should we paint the interior red too?  I've read that exterior doors should stand on their own, but I'm not sure that the red will fit into the decor of our living room, which it opens into.  Would love your advice.

Thank you.

Answer
Heidi,

Thanks for writing and for your questions.  If you want to stain the new interior doors in cherry, go for it.  Interior woods do not have to be the same, and the two woods you describe will not compete with one another.  The doors on one floor typically are in the same finish, but again, they do not have to be.  I'd stain the new french door when you purchase it, but I'd personally leave the bath door and closet door painted.

Your front door should be painted red only on the exterior, with the interior stained like the rest of your doors.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik