Decorating & Furniture/Wood colours

I saw sort of this same question asked but it was more matching wood with fabric colours....this question is wood to wood.  We just bought a brand new home and the cupboards are neutral wood, high in grain, no golden tone at all. The countertop has brown and gold flecks in mainly black.  My question is this:  The pub style table/chair set we LOVE is Cherry Walnut (so fairly heavy on the dark red tone) and the chair seats are black leather.  Will this work?  I thank you in advance for your help...Sophia

The short answer is that YES this will absolutely work.  Combining wood tones creates interest as well as texture and contrast.  I think the combination of cherry and high grain neutrals will be striking, and the black leather will coordinate with the countertop.

Thanks for writing.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology