Decorating & Furniture/How to choose cabinets to go with bricks

Brick Kitchen Arch
Brick Kitchen Arch  
We are in the process of updating our kitchen.  I'm wondering what color cabinets will go well with the brick arch that is in our kitchen.  I also have a small island that I'm considering using a contrasting base.  
I love color but need to consider the fact that I need to keep the kitchen marketable for sale.  As you can see from the attached picture we currently have white cabinets which I'm not opposed to replacing again in white but I am wondering what other wood tones would fit in with the bricks.  All the appliances are in stainless steel.  We will be replacing the backs splash and back area with tile with colors to be determined.  We will be adding new counter tops.  What are your suggestions on cabinet colors and what would you suggest as a contrast for the island?  Thank you so much for your suggestions.  I appreciate your help.

Virtually any wood tone will work with the kitchen brick, and I believe that a dark toned cabinet would accentuate the beautiful detail of the arch.  

Keep your backsplash and counter tops neutral since you're thinking of resale values.  Granite is "the" thing that people want, followed by quartz.  A beautiful brown/beige/grey combination would be beautiful.

Contrasting the island cabinetry is a good thing and a hot trend in kitchens.  If you opt to do this, then consider the same granite or quartz countertop and deviate the cabinetry from a darker wood tone to a white or off-white.  

If you opt to keep a lighter toned cabinet in the bulk of the kitchen, then use a black cabinetry for the island.  Very smart look.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology