Decorating & Furniture/color issues

I have crossroads color on the wall with a expresso color on the fireplace wall. My furniture is a light color micrsuede with a dark leather bottom with big pillows on them with different shades of brown. An dark ottoman to match the bottom of the sofa. I just put up dark chocolate panels. I don't know what colors to use in this space. Such as window treatments,area rug an accessories to use please I need help bad. I have pics of the space to if I could send them to you. Help me!!!!!!  

Hi Tangela,

Typically I recommend that window treatments combine all the colors within the space which pulls all the colors together.  In your instance, I'm going to recommend that you combine all the colors and shades of tan/brown into the area rug.  Keep the chocolate panels, and add a semi-transparent sheer inside the panels to lighten up the space.

For a punch of color, try adding red.  It can and should be subtle - i.e., not too many red pieces, just a few well placed around the room.  You may also want to add a red pillow to your couch.

Thanks for writing and for your questions.  Hope this helps.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology