Decorating & Furniture/dining space

What is the min. space needed to comfortably have a dining room with a round table & 4 chairs? I am really building a  deck but I'm not sure if a section 6' by 12' is roomy enough for a table & chairs. Thanks for your help.

Hi Sabrina,

The rule of thumb is that you should have 2 feet of walking space between the chair and the wall/deck railing in your case.  

Most round tables are either 48" or 60".  In this scenario, a 60" would be too large for the space, and the 48" is borderline.  

You may want to consider purchasing a rectangular table which would accomodate your space better.  Thanks for writing.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology