Decorating & Furniture/furniture suggestions for small living/dining room

Question
Hi:

Is there a particular type of furniture that you'd recommend for a 'small' livingroom/dining room...approx 13'X 21'........dry wall........not painted yet?

Thanx,

Paul

Answer
Hi Paul,

Because your space is on the small side, make sure that your furniture is on the small side as well.  Scale means everything in a small space.  Stay away from "overstuffed" or high-backed pieces.  Straight line sofa (2 cushion or small 3 cushion) in a solid color will give you the most flexibility.  Add to that 2 small chairs, i.e., "slipper" chairs (low back, little or no arms but upholstered) will give you seating without eating up a lot of space.

One of the biggest problems people have is putting large scale furniture in a small space.  This is not the spot for a large lazy-boy, but there are some recliners out there that have a more diminutive size.

Put your sofa on the longest wall too.  That will make the space feel larger.  For dining, opt for a round glass table with 4 chairs.

Hope this helps you, and thanks for writing me.
Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik