Decorating & Furniture/furniture suggestions for small living/dining room

Is there a particular type of furniture that you'd recommend for a 'small' livingroom/dining room...approx 13'X 21'........dry wall........not painted yet?

Hi Paul,

Because your space is on the small side, make sure that your furniture is on the small side as well.  Scale means everything in a small space.  Stay away from "overstuffed" or high-backed pieces.  Straight line sofa (2 cushion or small 3 cushion) in a solid color will give you the most flexibility.  Add to that 2 small chairs, i.e., "slipper" chairs (low back, little or no arms but upholstered) will give you seating without eating up a lot of space.

One of the biggest problems people have is putting large scale furniture in a small space.  This is not the spot for a large lazy-boy, but there are some recliners out there that have a more diminutive size.

Put your sofa on the longest wall too.  That will make the space feel larger.  For dining, opt for a round glass table with 4 chairs.

Hope this helps you, and thanks for writing me.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology