Decorating & Furniture/kitchen cabinet color with hardwood color

the kitchen cabinets we picked out are spiced walnut on oak and we would like to put down hardwoods.  the area includes the living area and kitchen which are open.  what color of hardwood would you recommend

Hi Mary,

My suggestion is to use a dark hardwood for your flooring.  Select a hardwood that is a richer, darker color than your oak and it will create a beautiful contrast.

The biggest mistake people make is trying to "match" all the woods in their homes when contrast and coordination make the space much more appealing.

Thanks for writing!

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology