Decorating & Furniture/need a color scheme!

My husband and I are getting an apartment, therefore we need to keep the walls white. My mother is giving us this lazy  boy recliner its a cornflower cloth blue of sorts. We want the recliner but now we dont know what colors we will go with it. I love cherry wood and had thought cherry would really accent white walls and a light carpet but now im not sure if such a rich colored furniture would look good with a colonial sorta look. Plus now i dont know what color couch to get. Or what color curtains? Does it all have to be blue? I need help, i may be a girl but im color coordinating stupid. I might as well be color blind!!

Hi Maria,

First of all, you're not color coordinating stupid - you're just seeking some counsel.  

If you love cherry, then purchase cherry.  It would be a great start in your dining area, which in most apartments is adjacent to the kitchen and living areas.  A round table will no doubt work best in the space, and if you can purchase one with a removable insert (to make it larger when you need extra space) then all the better.  

For the living area you can certainly purchase seating with cherry trim, cherry legs etc., or you can use a cherry wood for end tables and/or a coffee table.  

For your sofa and additional seating, purchase something smaller in scale (not a sectional or a huge couch)in a solid color.  Working with neutral colored furniture is the most cost effective and most versatile way to get the most bang for your buck.  A solid color (and you can add any color to the blue in the chair) allows you to "decorate" the room with pillows, throws etc., which are less expensive to replace when and if you decide to change your decor.  

For your curtains/draperies, combine all the colors in your space and purchase them in a print, floral, abstract or striped fabric.  For instance, if you purchase a chocolate brown small sofa, have the blue recliner and light colored carpet, find a drapery that has all three colors in it.  

Your living area (and dining area) will look very put together.  Thanks for writing.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology