Decorating & Furniture/How to offset Large leather sofa

I just bought a house and the living room is 15 x 12.  The sofa is wine-colored (burgundy) leather that is about 8 feet wide (not sure of the other dimensions). The carpet is beige and the wall color is buttercup.  Buying a new sofa is not an option right now, so I was wondering what color area rug and accent colors should I use for accessories that will offset the heaviness of the sofa but still give the room a cohesive look.  Should I incorporate other furniture like tables and chairs and if so, what size, texture, finish, colors would you recommend?  The room does have an angle fireplace and my style is traditional mixed with some contemporary.  Thank you in advance,

Hi Rae, start off with a light coloured area rug that you like with at least three different colours in it.  From these colours you can build a whole colour scheme, which can be used for accessorizing.   I recommend you place throw pillows on the couch in one, or two of the light colours from the area rug. I wouldn't recommend side tables if your sofa is against your shorter wall. You can add a dark wood toned coffee table to provide contrast against the light rug and walls.  It should be about two-thirds the width of the sofa.
I also offer an 'Ask the Decorator' service on my website. I would be happy to be of further assistance to you if needed.
Thank you, for your time.

Shamim Razvi
The Eighth Haven

Decorating & Furniture

Shamim Razvi

I can answer anything in general about decorating, i.e. Space planning,colour co-ordinating, furniture placement, choosing the most suitable accessories,fabrics,lighting, window, wall and floor treatments. I cannot answer questions about structural or architectural changes.

I have been decorating for the past five years and running my own decorating business: The Eighth Haven,, for over a year.

I am a graduate of QC Design School, in the field of Professional Design and Decorating as a certified Interior Decorator and Professional Colour Consultant.