Decorating & Furniture/Corridor/hallway door ideas

Hi Shamim,

I need help choosing the most suitable type of door [swinging...etc]. I'll describe the situation:

Our reception and living room are joined and they both lead to the corridor/hallway, and we'd like to put some sort of door at the beginning of the corridor/hallway to restrict the air conditioning to the reception and living room only and stop the cool air from "leaking" to the hallway.

We though of putting a swinging door there, but we usually have children running around our house so we are looking for a more practical sort of door that also looks classy.

Do you have any idea on what we should do?

Pocket door
Pocket door  
Hi Nora, I think a pocket door may be the most suitable door for this space.  It's a conventional door, which can be in either a glass or solid, it works on a sliding track.  The door slides in and out of a pocket in the wall. (see attached photo), great for tight spaces.   A pocket door can be a little pricy.  Your other option might be to opt for conventional hinged door with glass panels.
I also offer an 'Ask the Decorator' service on my website. I would be happy to be of further assistance to you if needed.
Thank you, for your time.

Shamim Razvi
The Eighth Haven

Decorating & Furniture

Shamim Razvi

I can answer anything in general about decorating, i.e. Space planning,colour co-ordinating, furniture placement, choosing the most suitable accessories,fabrics,lighting, window, wall and floor treatments. I cannot answer questions about structural or architectural changes.

I have been decorating for the past five years and running my own decorating business: The Eighth Haven,, for over a year.

I am a graduate of QC Design School, in the field of Professional Design and Decorating as a certified Interior Decorator and Professional Colour Consultant.