Decorating & Furniture/Floor covering

Question
I am looking for a replacement floor covering in my basement ( tv room, guest bedroom, sitting room ).  Given its easy maintenance and because the old floor is uneven, a floating floor seemed to be the best choice.  The walls are covered with solid natural oak and I would like to keep them as they are. Laminate wood grain would not do justice to the walls and natural stone would require replacing the entire old floor.  Is there any other floor covering that would solve my problem ?  What should be the best colours to use ?  Thank you.

Answer
Hi Micheline, there are a wide range of options now when it comes to floating floors. Laminated cork, bamboo, simulated ceramic, even simulated slate or stone, which would not require replacing the entire floor.  Based on the use of the room, I would suggest a cork floor. Some advantages to cork are:  it dampens sound, it's warm and cushiony underfoot, it looks unique, it's natural and non-toxic. Cork floating floor planks come in a wide assortment of patterns and colours.  I would suggest choosing something a shade of two darker than your walls, this will help ground the space.  
I also offer an 'Ask the Decorator' service on my website. I would be happy to be of further assistance to you if needed.
Thank you, for your time.

Shamim Razvi
The Eighth Haven
www.eighthaven.com

Decorating & Furniture

Shamim Razvi