Decorating & Furniture/Mixing styles

Question
I have a collection of Hummel figurines and plates that I dearly love....however, my decorating style leans to the more contemporary...like Pottery Barn.  How can I combine the two?  They don't seem to go together well.

Answer
Hi Tressie,
Well, I can't say I know much about Hummel figurines, but, the same principal applies whenever you want to display a collection. The contrast of the figures in your contemporary space will make your  collection something unexpected that will create instant personality. The only to remember is keep the collection a collection. Hanging the plates on the wall and the figurines on floating shelves arranged within the configuration of plates will become art. This way, the plates and figurines will make a cohesive, and dramatic focal point. Grouping them together gives them impact that using them separately would not achieve. You can carry the theme further by interspersing an organic element such as a bamboo  plant or an orchid.

Decorating & Furniture

Toni Gibbs