Decorating & Furniture/New furniture & carpet color

Question
We are doing a small remodeling job in our family room - my husband is putting up built in book shelves on each side of fireplace.  I bought a new couch, loveseat & ottoman in the color of medium brown (cinnamin brown) and the pillows are complimentary warm colors (gold, browns, rust, green).  I am trying to figure out what color carpet to buy.  I picked out a plush color similar to the couch which had some faint gold & rust tones which I think compliments the pillows.  When I brought home the small swatch with the normal lighting in room - it almost seems to just blend in with the couch & the other tones don't show much.  Will it look stupid to have that close of a color match or will accessories like pillows etc be enough contract. I thought about going with the darker color of closer to the rusty color in the pillow - but I am afraid that the lint etc. will show up to much.  My walls are a lighter color beige with a green hint.

Answer
Hi Karen,
I can almost see myself lounging on this furniture, sounds so comfy. However, you mentioned that you have at least three pieces of furniture in this one space, and that the carpeting that you chose is similar in color. Mixing things up by bringing in texture instead of color in the carpeting, going for something like a a berber, or a Bramble Weave (google it) in a Honey Gold tone, would make the cinnamon pop. Another way to add texture would be to add Bamboo, Rattan or even Matchstick blinds on the windows. You could come in with Mustard Yellow, Pumpkin Orange and a surprising splash of Mint Green accents for pillows and area rugs. A few hints of black (black and white photos) add drama and sophistication to any decor. Hope this Helps. Good luck.

Decorating & Furniture

Toni Gibbs