Decorating & Furniture/New house

We are building a new home and I have chosen natural hickory cabinets for the kitchen. The kitchen is open to the dining room, which is then open to the living room (all in an L-shape). We will be putting laminate flooring throughout the space.  My problem is deciding what color laminate flooring will go with the cabinets. Although I love the way dark brown or even brown with some red in it, I really wanted to stay away from anything dark because it shows everything, i.e. footprints and pet hair. My furniture pieces are mostly antiques in oak, pine, & cherry and stained in "Special Walnut" which is a moderate brown with a reddish tinge. The kitchen will be in the north corner of the property with only 1 window (it is a large garden window, so I should have some light.  I wanted to keep the cabinets light and just love the natural hickory.  What color would you suggest for the floor?  Thanks for your help.  

Hi Barb, I would suggest you choose wood flooring as close to the cabinet colour as possible.  The only reason I suggest this is because you already have many different types of wood, bringing the cabinet colour to the floor will be more visually calming and appealing to the eye especially as it covers a large area.  Generally the rule for using different types of wood in a space, is to do no more than three.  
I also offer an 'Ask the Decorator' service on my website. I would be happy to be of further assistance to you if needed.
Thank you, for your time.

Shamim Razvi
The Eighth Haven

Decorating & Furniture

Shamim Razvi

I can answer anything in general about decorating, i.e. Space planning,colour co-ordinating, furniture placement, choosing the most suitable accessories,fabrics,lighting, window, wall and floor treatments. I cannot answer questions about structural or architectural changes.

I have been decorating for the past five years and running my own decorating business: The Eighth Haven,, for over a year.

I am a graduate of QC Design School, in the field of Professional Design and Decorating as a certified Interior Decorator and Professional Colour Consultant.