Decorating & Furniture/Open Concept Painting

Question
We are in the process of remodelling our home and have removed a wall between our kitchen and dining room to improve the space.  My living/dining/kitchen is now open concept and is L-shaped.  My living/dining room is a pale butterscotch colour.   My new kitchen cabinets are cognac colour. What would be the recommendations for painting this space?  Should I follow through with the same colour as in the living room?  If not, how do I define the kitchen space so that it blends in with the living/dining room?

Answer
Hi Janet, Most paint colours are shown on a colour fan strip.  You can go either a shade or two lighter or darker on the same strip that has your butterscotch colour.  If your cabinets are a darker cognac colour than I would suggest going on the lighter side, for the paint colour.  Depending on how the colour fan is arranged for your particular brand of paint, you may even be able to select a colour from the two strips on either side of it.  As long as they are generally in the same colour 'family', it'll look fine.  
I also offer an 'Ask the Decorator' service on my website. I would be happy to be of further assistance to you if needed.
Thank you, for your time.

Shamim Razvi
The Eighth Haven
www.eighthaven.com

Decorating & Furniture

Shamim Razvi