Decorating & Furniture/Slipcovers and modern style

Question
Are slipcovers and a modern style at odds with each other?

I would love a more modern style but have a problem with practicality when choosing seating for our living room. Leather is not an option, although I love the fitted, clean lines of many leather sofas/loveseats/ottomans. Fabric is a problem with dogs and children (and careless adults).

At the moment, I have slipcovers that I wash about once a week, but I don't like the sloppy look. Even after careful tucking, as soon as someone seats down the fabric pulls and gapes. This may be because the slipcovers are "off the rack", rather than custom made for the individual pieces of furniture. The side effect of these overly loose covers is that they can't be quickly vacuumed in between washes - a real problem with long haired dogs.

Eventually, I will be replacing our old sofa and loveseat (which are much the worse for having experienced the puppy teething stage), but have been holding off due to indecision.

Answer
Hi Kim,
Technically, yes, because modern style is all about a "clean" look, which slipcovers, although, practical for extending or renewing less than desirable looking furniture do not achieve. You may want to look for a leather sectional, sofa, etc., that has the fitted, clean lines you want, and select a more practical fabric, (micro fiber, corduroy, chenille) would be excellent choices. Choosing texture,(something neutral) over color is a great way to have what I call "working furniture."  These fabrics are perfect for households with kids and animals, because they will help to hide/camoflage stains and hair. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Decorating & Furniture

Toni Gibbs