Decorating & Furniture/What color furniture?

I have a 23 x 16 great room with a 9x10 dining area connected to it. The ceilings are around 20 feet high and there are seven huge windows on the wall.We have Brazilian cherry hardwood floors. We want to paint the walls a light color to make the space look bigger. Something warm in the cream family. What color living room furniture and dining room furniture should we get? And what color accent pieces? (Paintings, rugs, chairs etc...) I want it to be intimate and homey but with a flair of sophistication and edge.

I think that creams with gray undertones,  taupes, and even sage green would look fabolous paired with the Brazilian cherry hardwood floors, and will certainly lighten up the space. You can go just about any direction with any of these colors because they are neutrals. I always say no matter what color scheme you are going for, punch it up with accents of black. Perhaps black and white photos, with black frames, and a black lamp. As far as what color furniture, pumpkin, orange-reds, mustard tones will be warm and intimate, even chocolate brown will pair beautifully with any of these colors. If you are still not comfortable choosing a color, wait until you choose your paint color, and follow the color wheel to determine what color to go with. A monochromatic color scheme can be achieved by using the colors on either side of the color that you've chosen. Good luck. Hope this helps!

Decorating & Furniture

Toni Gibbs

I can't answer any questions in regards to structural, or commercial space planning. I can assist in choosing furniture, accessories, color choices, lighting, recommending resources to find what you are looking for.

My experience comes from a passion for decorating, and an inherent understanding of the "art of Interior Design."

Dress for Success (Professional Womens's Group)

I attempted to obtain a certificate in Interior Design from Sheffied School of Interior Design, but, did not complete the course. I realized that there were many areas that felt remedial to me, while there are many other areas that are helping me to continually expand my level of expertise.

Friends, family.