Decorating & Furniture/fireplace mantel

We have just a tile gas fireplace so I purchased a mantel ledge to dress it up a little. The fireplace measures 5 feet so I purchased a 5 ft. ledge. I just took it out of the box and the top of the ledge is 5 ft., but the bottom that sits on the fireplace is 2 inches shorter on each side. My husband says it looks fine and I really like the simplicity of the shelf and do not have the budget to order custom made. But I also don't want to put it up if it will look tacky. Are there any interior design 'rules' regarding this? I'd appreciate any input. Yesterday we bought the 6 ft. mantel, which extends about 3 inches on each side of fireplace. Now we just need to decide which one to keep. Thanks!

Hi Nicole, A fireplace mantle is part of the focal point of a room therefore it should be a large enough size, in proportion to the room and the fireplace.   The 5ft ledge will look a little insignificant.  I would go with the 6ft ledge.
I also offer an 'Ask the Decorator' service on my website. I would be happy to be of further assistance to you if needed.
Thank you, for your time.

Shamim Razvi
The Eighth Haven

Decorating & Furniture

Shamim Razvi

I can answer anything in general about decorating, i.e. Space planning,colour co-ordinating, furniture placement, choosing the most suitable accessories,fabrics,lighting, window, wall and floor treatments. I cannot answer questions about structural or architectural changes.

I have been decorating for the past five years and running my own decorating business: The Eighth Haven,, for over a year.

I am a graduate of QC Design School, in the field of Professional Design and Decorating as a certified Interior Decorator and Professional Colour Consultant.