Decorating & Furniture/ODD SHAPED LIVING ROOM

Question
I HAVE AN ODD SHAPED LIVING ROOM.  ONE LONG WALL AND TWO SHORT WALLS TO EITHER SIDE (OPPOSITE THE LONG WALL IS THE STAIR CASE LEADING UPSTAIRS)  ON ONE SHORT WALL, IS THE BAY WINDOW AND THE OTHER WALL IS REALLY JUST THE BAR (HALF WALL)DIVIDING THE LIVING ROOM AND THE KITCHEN.  I HAVE POSITIONED MY MODULAR SOFA SET IN A C-LIKE SHAPE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FLOOR, BUT WITH THE WIDTH OF THE LIVING ROOM BEING SMALL, IT'S REALLY CLOSE ON THE TV WHICH WILL HAVE TO GO ON THE LONG WALL.  TO GIVE YOU AN IDEA, THERE IS NO ROOM FOR A CENTER TABLE AND I AM SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING MOUNTING THE TV SO AS TO MINIMIZE OVERCROWDING.  PLEASE HELP!

Answer
Hi Tia,
You poor thing, it sounds like you have a great space, with lots of architectual details. Space/floor planning can be frustrating, but, fret no more. When you say modular, I assume you mean the pieces come apart, that there are at least two seperate pieces. Is it possible to remove one or more pieces from the room, replacing them with smaller more to scale chairs? You mentioned mounting the tv on the wall, by all means, do so. Anytime, you can find a way to free up floor space, whether mounting a tv which creates actual space, or using glass top tables to create more visual space, go for it. If simply mounting the tv frees up the long wall, move the modular to that wall. Typically, you want your biggest piece of furniture on the longest wall in the space. It is possible to hang the tv on the "bar" wall, and using some of the space to create a seperate smaller seating are in front of the bay window. Try some of these ideas on for size. I don't know how long you have lived in your space, but, it's important to live in it for a while. This will give you time to see how you actually use the space, sometimes, the living room ends up being the bedroom! Good luck. Hope this helps

Decorating & Furniture

Toni Gibbs