Decorating & Furniture/Paint

My husband is painting office furniture black and has requested dark brown walls.  I think this will look horrible but he refuses to go with the cream/kaki color I like.  How can I decorate this room to allow the furniture to stand out?  I'm afraid it will get lost in the dark painted walls.

Hi Jenny, I would have to agree with you on this one.  Dark brown walls, with black furniture is going to make the space feel very dark and heavy.  A solution to make both you and your husband happy; choose one wall to paint in the dark brown.  On this wall you would place lighter coloured accessories and art.  The rest of the walls where most of the furniture would be, can be painted in the cream colour.
I also offer an 'Ask the Decorator' service on my website. I would be happy to be of further assistance to you if needed.
Thank you, for your time.

Shamim Razvi
The Eighth Haven

Decorating & Furniture

Shamim Razvi

I can answer anything in general about decorating, i.e. Space planning,colour co-ordinating, furniture placement, choosing the most suitable accessories,fabrics,lighting, window, wall and floor treatments. I cannot answer questions about structural or architectural changes.

I have been decorating for the past five years and running my own decorating business: The Eighth Haven,, for over a year.

I am a graduate of QC Design School, in the field of Professional Design and Decorating as a certified Interior Decorator and Professional Colour Consultant.