Decorating & Furniture/Strange Wall Issue


Hi Shahim:

I have a very strange problem with my apartment walls.  The apartment used to be a schoolroom, so the walls actually are painted-over chalkboards!  The problem is that the frames of the chalkboards are still there, still visible.  They look like a small moulding about 12 inches down from the ceiling and up from the floors.  This makes it hard to hang pictures as the moulding is just outside where the picture frames would be.  Do you have any suggestions?  I hope you can understand my description.  Thanks very much!

Hi Ann, this is a tough on.  I'm assuming this is a rental apartment and that you can't make any structural changes.  The only thing I can think of is maybe paint the chalkboard frame in a couple of shades darker than your wall colour and have a print shop enlarge a print for you to fit the frame.  You can paste this on with wallpaper paste to create a piece of art.  I'm sorry I couldn't be of much help.  
I also offer an 'Ask the Decorator' service on my website. I would be happy to be of further assistance to you if needed.
Thank you, for your time.

Shamim Razvi
The Eighth Haven

Decorating & Furniture

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Shamim Razvi


I can answer anything in general about decorating, i.e. Space planning,colour co-ordinating, furniture placement, choosing the most suitable accessories,fabrics,lighting, window, wall and floor treatments. I cannot answer questions about structural or architectural changes.


I have been decorating for the past five years and running my own decorating business: The Eighth Haven,, for over a year.

I am a graduate of QC Design School, in the field of Professional Design and Decorating as a certified Interior Decorator and Professional Colour Consultant.

©2017 All rights reserved.