Decorating & Furniture/Strange Wall Issue

Question
Hi Shahim:

I have a very strange problem with my apartment walls.  The apartment used to be a schoolroom, so the walls actually are painted-over chalkboards!  The problem is that the frames of the chalkboards are still there, still visible.  They look like a small moulding about 12 inches down from the ceiling and up from the floors.  This makes it hard to hang pictures as the moulding is just outside where the picture frames would be.  Do you have any suggestions?  I hope you can understand my description.  Thanks very much!

Answer
Hi Ann, this is a tough on.  I'm assuming this is a rental apartment and that you can't make any structural changes.  The only thing I can think of is maybe paint the chalkboard frame in a couple of shades darker than your wall colour and have a print shop enlarge a print for you to fit the frame.  You can paste this on with wallpaper paste to create a piece of art.  I'm sorry I couldn't be of much help.  
I also offer an 'Ask the Decorator' service on my website. I would be happy to be of further assistance to you if needed.
Thank you, for your time.

Shamim Razvi
The Eighth Haven
www.eighthaven.com

Decorating & Furniture

Shamim Razvi