Decorating & Furniture/Wall color/floor covering -renovation of family/kithcen

Question
Hello Toni,

I have an open space family/kitchen with a half wall separating the two. The family room has cherry laminate flooring and the kitchen has white vinyl w/ burgundy accent squares ( I hate this flooring).  The kitchen has walnut cabinets, stainless steel appliances, ceiling fan w/ wood grain blades.  The dinette set is cherry wood.  I recently reupholstered the seats with a burgundy,green,yellow striped fabric. I like warm neutral colors.  Willing to try some bold colors, but would like to stay away from the more darker tones.

Please advise what complimentary colors can be used for these rooms.

Please advise what flooring to use for kitchen.  I was thinking of extending laminate to room, but worried about it becoming slippery, when cooking- frying food.

I need help in

Answer
Hi Sharon,
I love the idea of extending the cherry laminate flooring in the kitchen, and I understand your concerns about slippery areas from cooking. Solution; bring in a rug or mat , it's the same idea behind having a mat in the tub/shower. Not only will it allow you another opportunity to bring in the warm color(s) you like, but, also to add texture, which is critical to any successful design. You could also make small changes to continue making the two spaces flow, for instance, changing out the blades on the celing fan from wood grain to stainless steel ones. Good luck. Hope this helps.

Decorating & Furniture

Toni Gibbs