Decorating & Furniture/accent wall in master bedroom

We have a slightly rectangular shaped master bedroom with all walls currently painted a light stone gray color. When you walk through the door, you face a wall with a fireplace and mantle in the middle of the wall.  The fireplace/mantle sticks out of that main wall about 4 inches. All other walls in the entire room are flat and meet at right angles.  Our furniture is all dark walnut wood and accented with dark metal.  The bedding is a light olive green.  We've been thinking about painting a wall a purplish color as an accent wall.  We don't know which wall to do (we've thought about only doing the small bit of wall above the fireplace/mantle but don't know if that is the right thing to do) and we don't know how dark to go with the purple.  We chose purple because there are a few purple tones in the room's art work and also in the two whitish orchid plants that we have in the room.  We need some advice!  Thanks!

Hi Megan,
Purple is a very hot color right now; using the art work and the orchids as the inspiration for your choice is was a great idea. You mentioned that when entering the space, the first thing you see is the fireplace wall, such a great architectural detail to work with, and the best choice for the accent color. Not only will the purple make the fireplace and mantle more of a focal point in the room, but, it will really make the stone gray walls pop! As far as how dark to go, you are talking about hue or intensity of the color. Use the color wheel to decide how deep you want to go, but, a purple that has blue/red undertones is probably a good place to start. In this hue, it is both modern and warm, and will add instant energy and personality to your space. Good luck. Hope this helps.

Decorating & Furniture

Toni Gibbs

I can't answer any questions in regards to structural, or commercial space planning. I can assist in choosing furniture, accessories, color choices, lighting, recommending resources to find what you are looking for.

My experience comes from a passion for decorating, and an inherent understanding of the "art of Interior Design."

Dress for Success (Professional Womens's Group)

I attempted to obtain a certificate in Interior Design from Sheffied School of Interior Design, but, did not complete the course. I realized that there were many areas that felt remedial to me, while there are many other areas that are helping me to continually expand my level of expertise.

Friends, family.