Decorating & Furniture/choosing paint color for family room

Hi Jenny, I just recently painted my kitchen cabinets in antique white. I am trying to find a color to paint the walls in my family room that will add a nice contrast since my kitchen looks to bright,(countertops are white, tile floor is ivory color, appliances stainless steel, and dining set is a sand color). There is also a chimney in the family room and would like to know what would be a good color for that as well. Thank you.

Hi Elsa,

How about using a caramel or cappuccino brown?  That would add contrast while keeping things in the same family.  I'd consider painting my kitchen walls in that color to create some contrast immediately.  Moving into the family room you might want to consider a darker shade off the same paint sample to add some dimension.  

If you're painting your chimney, I'd opt for a chocolate brown OR an antique white (similar or same as your cabinets).  

By staying neutral, you can always add pops of color into the spaces with accessories which are easier and less expensive to change as your mood changes. Thanks for writing.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology