Decorating & Furniture/color scheme for open floor plan

Question
Hi Toni, I own a new 1550 feet home with an open floor plan.  My space is small, yet I would like to add some color to my boring beige walls. My sectional couch is celery/sage with a leather brown coffee table. My dining room furniture is a dark wood, and my kitchen has steel appliances. I like earth tones, yet I want to be a LITTLE adventurous by adding a spicy color to the kitchen/dining room wall.  I'm afraid to add a spicy color because of the small space.Also I would like to rest of the house to be a separate color. Can you please recommend colors that would compliment my space?

Answer
HI Annette,
The celery/sage colors are more or less neutral and can be accented with either warm or cool colors. An open floor plan is great, however, it can be a little scary to decorate. The dark wood, brown leather, stainless steel, and celery/sage can all benefit from a spicy color in the orange/red color group(orange(s)pumpkin/orange, orange/red/tomato/red, adding this color to the focal wall (usually the first wall you see when entering the space)in each of these rooms will add energy, and personality to your space. These shades will be an excellent compliment to the beige walls. If you would like to go a step further, you could do a glaze over the beige. Be sure to bring in pops of the accent color into the space(s), canisters in the kitchen, curtains in the dining room. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Decorating & Furniture

Toni Gibbs