Decorating & Furniture/painting

QUESTION: Hello I have a question about matching furniture and paint. I just recently purchased dining room furniture the table is black and the chairs are wooden black with the seat and back is smoke gray suede. I was thinking of painting the room a burgundy color and a get an area rug that is black with gray and burgundy designs in it.
Thank you so much please advise

ANSWER: Hi Sharon,
I apologize for my tardiness in responding to your question. The furniture sounds modern/contemporary. The burgundy is a very dramatic/dark color, and could potentially overwhelm the space. If you have adequate lighting, then by all means, go for it. If not, perhaps a charcoal gray (cool color) would be a good choice to contrast with the furniture. Bring in the burgundy (light/dark gray, creams) in an area rug with a bold graphic print to balance the black and wood tones in the room. Hope this helps. Good luck.

QUESTION: Ok thanks! The room is really open it has only two 1/4 of a wall and then a high wall that is cut off so you can see downstairs what I am trying to say is the wall is not complete it is only half the wall and it is just open space and I was thinking of just painting the top potion burgundy and the two 1/4 walls white.

The white (high gloss) will be a fabulous contrast to the burgundy, and because you will only be painting a relatively small area, no problem with it being too much. It will serve to add excitement and personality to the space. Be sure to bring the burgundy into the space at least two more times, (pillow, vases etc. ) Good luck.

Decorating & Furniture

Toni Gibbs

I can't answer any questions in regards to structural, or commercial space planning. I can assist in choosing furniture, accessories, color choices, lighting, recommending resources to find what you are looking for.

My experience comes from a passion for decorating, and an inherent understanding of the "art of Interior Design."

Dress for Success (Professional Womens's Group)

I attempted to obtain a certificate in Interior Design from Sheffied School of Interior Design, but, did not complete the course. I realized that there were many areas that felt remedial to me, while there are many other areas that are helping me to continually expand my level of expertise.

Friends, family.