Decorating & Furniture/Making a room bolder

Question
My house has what I would peg as a very old south look to it with a lot of mardi gras paraphernalia all over the place. The main colors are deep brown, gold, powder blue, and taupe. I think it's beautiful but I find it just a tad too "soft", so I really want to pump it up a bit with some bold color (deep red?) and gothic flair. How would you suggest doing this?
Here are a couple pictures of our living room to show what we have now. Though I think it looks much better in person, and I plan on adding a lot more plants.
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c16/Animus_Defluo/100_1665.jpg?t=1248324284
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c16/Animus_Defluo/100_1667.jpg?t=1248324412

Answer
Hi Antoinette, If you want to add a bold red, I would suggest you paint the wall behind your fireplace in that colour. You may even try painting your fireplace in a deep charcoal gray to compliment the red.    Bring in some more accents of red through accessories and throw pillow throughout the rest of your space.   
I also offer an 'Ask the Decorator' service on my website. I would be happy to be of further assistance to you if needed.
Thank you, for your time.

Shamim Razvi
The Eighth Haven
www.eighthaven.com

Decorating & Furniture

Shamim Razvi