Decorating & Furniture/livingroom wall color

I have natural woodwork in a light oak.  My sofas are a mauve and tan floral with a seafoam green background.  I was thinking of painting my walls a deep wine color that is an accent color in the florals, but my parents think it will make my house too dark.  I have a large open double livingroom with pocket doors that can split it in two and an attached dining room and foyer.  Was going to do foyer in same but have a wallpaper for dining room with similar color.  Very large house over 11 years old. Help!!

Hi Tina.  If you want the deep wine colour on your walls, why not try it on just one accent wall(the wall you want attention on) and paint the remaining walls in a neutral shade that also has a very slight wine undertone to it. For colour variations throughout the rest of your space, stick withing two to three shades of your neutral or accent colour.  
I also offer an 'Ask the Decorator' service on my website. I would be happy to be of further assistance to you if needed.
Thank you, for your time.

Shamim Razvi
The Eighth Haven

Decorating & Furniture

Shamim Razvi

I can answer anything in general about decorating, i.e. Space planning,colour co-ordinating, furniture placement, choosing the most suitable accessories,fabrics,lighting, window, wall and floor treatments. I cannot answer questions about structural or architectural changes.

I have been decorating for the past five years and running my own decorating business: The Eighth Haven,, for over a year.

I am a graduate of QC Design School, in the field of Professional Design and Decorating as a certified Interior Decorator and Professional Colour Consultant.