Decorating & Furniture/Decorating a long living room

Question
We have a long living room (24X14) with one long wall that has nice a picture window; one short wall with a fireplace; another long wall and the other short wall with a 3/4 half wall and open space that leads to the kitchen nook. This room is painted light mango color; and has printed green furniture. My preferred style is french. The entertainment center currently stands in the corner between the long window wall and fireplace wall. This was to face the long sofa to the pretty backyard and the picture window. The love seat sits perpendicular to the long sofa but almost in the middle of the room. The space behind the loveseat is wasted. No coffee table - in order to allow our little one to run around etc. What is the best way to arrange the furniture in this room to make the best use of the fireplace as well as the view. Thanks a lot for your advice.

Answer
Hi Uma,

The furniture should "face" the natural focal point which in this case is your fireplace.  Using an "L" shaped configuration is best.   Don't consider open space to be wasted.  In a long room such as yours having the furniture "float" in the space is a great way to add interest.  And, since the room is long, you may be able to create two separate seating areas, one facing the fireplace and the other on the opposite end.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik