Decorating & Furniture/Laminate flooring pattern

accent wall
accent wall  
I am going to try to paint this picture the best I can so please bear with me (see attached image as well).  We are trying to find a pattern for laminate flooring for our kitchen/dining room.  The area is about 280 sq ft and the kitchen and dining room are separated by a 6' peninsula.  Above the peninsula are maple cabinets with a spice finish.  The rest of the cabinets in the kitchen are white with chocolate brown accents.  The walls in the kitchen are chocolate brown as well.  Now in the dining room there is a red (dark & light sponge painted) accent on the top half of one wall.  On the bottom half of that wall and the remaining walls (1 - 15' and 1 - 3') are cedar paneling.  We are looking for a style of laminate flooring that won't blend too much with the cedar, but yet maintains our country/cabin feel we are going for.  We'd like something with some character (knots, distinct grain etc.).  The attachment contains a tigerwood pattern laminate that we have as a possibility.  Our concern is that this will create too much of the same color (cedar).  Other options/suggestions you would recommend would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your question.  If you are looking for something that isn't "the same", I'd suggest you look at a different laminate pattern.  While the tigerwood pattern is beautiful, it works better in an environment where the walls are more neutral, allowing the pattern to take precedence over everything else.  I'd opt for a "plank" style laminate flooring in either a much darker wood or a more mellow shade like an oak.  You'll immediately see the difference, and using the plank style will give you that knotty, grained character you are after.  

Hope this helps you,

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology