Decorating & Furniture/Tips and Ideas

Hello, I am 24 years old. And I just moved into a condo in Miami so that I can go to school. My new place needs some work, but since it's not mine, I don't want to invest money into it that I can't take with me, if that makes sense. Anyways, here's my dilemma: I have basically a rectangular room that is my dinning/living room area. In the area where my living room would be is a metal closet door that contains the AC unit. I know I can't close it off, because it needs to suck in air and filter needs to be changed monthly, but it's really unattractive and out of place. If I hang a curtain over it, I think it may look tacky because it's basically in the middle of my wall. Is there anything I can do to block it or take attention away from it? On another note, I am a single guy and while I am in no way a player, I would like to set up my room to give a sensual vibe...if that makes any sense. Any tips would be really appreciated!! Thank you so much!

Hi Alex,

You actually have a great idea about a curtain.  If you attach a "sheer" curtain panel (the same color as your wall) to the ceiling (or to the inside top of the door) and let it fall to the floor, you can disguise the closet door.  If you opt to attach it to the ceiling, staple the middle to the ceiling first, then the ends, then in the middle of each section.  By doing so, you will have created a nice "pleated" effect.  

To achieve a sensual vibe, keep things a bit streamlined and more on the comfortable side.  Avoid plaids or large prints and add some large candles to surfaces (ones that you can actually light).  One more masculine way to display these would be in a Zen-like tray with river rocks on the base and 3 large pillars standing in the tray.  

Purchase a couple of large floor pillows and have a couple of smaller ones that reside on your couch.  Arrange your furniture in a pleasing conversation group (facing each other or at a right angle to one another) and more than anything else, keep things tidy.

Best wishes!

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology