Decorating & Furniture/Upper farmhouse bedroom

My boyfriend and I are moving into the upper bedroom of our new [old] farmhouse. It was built in 1858 so I definitely don't want the style to be too modern but I'm definitely looking to have a color punch that stands out. We were thinking maybe a sort of vibrant green but there will also be a light charcoal color in the room. Also, i'm having trouble deciding on how to finish the ceiling. It is almost an A-shape [with the slanted ceiling on the sides] so where to add color and still keep the space open is the problem. The floors will be a dark almost espresso color. [just throwing it in there] I LOVE the color of the Master bedroom in the 2009 hgtv dream home [Sherwin Williams - Inland].

I also was looking for some cool diy ideas for a headboard. A little rustic looking, maybe shabby chic?
thanks =)

Hi Kristen,

Vibrant green is a great choice.  It's earthy (a la farmhouse) and goes well with both espresso and light charcoal.  It will add a nice punch of color.  I'd pair it with a creamy white (as opposed to a crisp white).  

As for your ceiling, if you're dealing with open beams and/or board slats, I'd suggest painting only the uppermost area.  If your ceiling is finished in the "A" frame shape, you should carry the color down the walls.  

As for a headboard, you might consider softening the space with a fabric headboard hung floor to ceiling.  Using an off-white sheer fabric allows you to see the rusticity and also softens the space a bit.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology