Decorating & Furniture/How to decorate tall walls

I am in the process of building a new house, and want to know how to choose the right way to paint/wall paper a 20 ft wall in my formal Victorian style living room. The living room has an open balcony landing that adjoins into the formal library with a formal crystal chandelier hanging down from the ceiling above the landing into the living room.

Hi Deborah,

I typically avoid talking about wallpaper because it is such a pain to change, but I'm going to make an exception and urge you to paint that tall wall in your home.  Don't trap yourself into wallpaper that would have to be professionally removed.  

Treat the wall special by painting if from top to bottom in a single, striking color.  The other walls do not have to be the same, but should coordinate. And since the balcony landing is there - complete with chandelier -you're given an opportunity to make that wall a focal point for the two spaces by painting it in a unique, focal wall color.  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology