Decorating & Furniture/How to decorate tall walls

Question
I am in the process of building a new house, and want to know how to choose the right way to paint/wall paper a 20 ft wall in my formal Victorian style living room. The living room has an open balcony landing that adjoins into the formal library with a formal crystal chandelier hanging down from the ceiling above the landing into the living room.

Answer
Hi Deborah,

I typically avoid talking about wallpaper because it is such a pain to change, but I'm going to make an exception and urge you to paint that tall wall in your home.  Don't trap yourself into wallpaper that would have to be professionally removed.  

Treat the wall special by painting if from top to bottom in a single, striking color.  The other walls do not have to be the same, but should coordinate. And since the balcony landing is there - complete with chandelier -you're given an opportunity to make that wall a focal point for the two spaces by painting it in a unique, focal wall color.  

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik