Decorating & Furniture/decorating with a combination of oak and oriental furniture pieces

I owned a large home when I was married.  After divorce I moved into a 1500 sq. ft. townhouse (rented).  I was able to fit most of my furniture.  Now I'm buying a small townhouse, I'm thrilled to own something.  My living room now has mainly oak furniture and my dining room is decorated with oriental pieces...curio cabinet, oriental small cabinet, and glass dining table with black iron.  I hope I can fit all these pieces in my new townhouse but how do I decorate with the combination of black and oak.  They are expensive pieces and want to keep them.

Hi Joanne,

If you love the pieces and want to keep them, they will work together.  Once you get into the townhouse, you may be able to "cross pollinate" your oriental with the oak by using either the small cabinet OR the curio cabinet in the living area as opposed to the dining area.  By doing this, you have coordinated the two rooms.  Voila!  If that doesn't work for you, try adding some black iron or oriental touches (silk pillows etc.) to the living area via accessories.  You can make it work.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology