Decorating & Furniture/decorating with a combination of oak and oriental furniture pieces

Question
I owned a large home when I was married.  After divorce I moved into a 1500 sq. ft. townhouse (rented).  I was able to fit most of my furniture.  Now I'm buying a small townhouse, I'm thrilled to own something.  My living room now has mainly oak furniture and my dining room is decorated with oriental pieces...curio cabinet, oriental small cabinet, and glass dining table with black iron.  I hope I can fit all these pieces in my new townhouse but how do I decorate with the combination of black and oak.  They are expensive pieces and want to keep them.

Answer
Hi Joanne,

If you love the pieces and want to keep them, they will work together.  Once you get into the townhouse, you may be able to "cross pollinate" your oriental with the oak by using either the small cabinet OR the curio cabinet in the living area as opposed to the dining area.  By doing this, you have coordinated the two rooms.  Voila!  If that doesn't work for you, try adding some black iron or oriental touches (silk pillows etc.) to the living area via accessories.  You can make it work.

Jenny  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik