Decorating & Furniture/leopard 5 x 8 carpet in living area

Question
I am about to purchase a red couch and two side chairs with a floral (black on tan) print. It's a basic geometric flower, hard lines, 5 petals, like we used to draw in grade school, nothing fufu.  I know chosing furniture fabrics is a bit like clothing, in that it's ok to mix and match prints/plaids, but I'm not too sure about with the leopard. Help!

Answer
Hi Debbie,

Thanks for the questions.  In decor, mixing plaids and prints or florals and stripes is fine as long as the colors in each are exactly the same; i.e., the leopard rug and the chairs should have exactly the same colors, just in a different pattern.  Now that we've said that, I believe you'd be much happier in the long run (and save money as well) if you opt for a more neutral fabric for the side chairs.  Rugs and other accessories can be easily and inexpensively changed; furniture cannot.  

Sorry, but it's true.  

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik