Decorating & Furniture/mixing painted and wood furniture.

Question
I have a black entertainment unit with a cherry top where the TV sits.  Must I use all black wood tables with this?  Would it be better to use glass topped metal end tables and coffee table? The black painted piece seems in the country style with very straight lines.  Can I use more traditional stained wood pieces?  How much mixing, if any, can I do?

I have hardwood floors and a wool area rug that is in shades of green, taupe, gold and rust with a solid border and a floral design. (Pottery Barn's Adeline rug) The sofa is off-white matelasse, traditional with a skirt, and the chairs that I am keeping are the same green as in the rug.  The upholstered pieces are all solid colors.  On chairs that I buy, can I use a print, check, or stripe, or should I stick with another solid color? What color should I get?  Can I use matching Bergere chairs? My problem is that I like elements from many styles  and am having trouble blending them.  Any suggestions are welcomed.

Answer
Hi Linda,

You can certainly mix woods without a problem.  Adding more traditional stained wood to your current mix is fine if you prefer that style.

For your upholstered pieces consider the cost of replacement before purchasing a print, check or stripe.  Solids can be made more interesting with throws, pillows etc., in coordinating prints and stripes, and these accessories are easier on the wallet to replace.  Color is up to you.  Since you have the rug that incorporates several colors, I'd select a color out of that palette.  You'll know that will blend.  Matching Bergere chairs?  Fine.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik