Decorating & Furniture/open concept great room

Question
Hi

I have just moved into a new home with an open concept great room 20x20 with a 20x20 opening. The large wall directly facing us when we walk in has a fireplace in the middle and a large window on either side.  The fireplace has some custome wood work with no mantle and the TV will not work above it.  I have no idea how to arrange a love seat, sofa, chair and a 50inch TV with stand!
The wall to the left is actually open to the kitchen so technically there are only 2 walls to work with one hosting the fireplace and windows. Any suggestions?

Thanks very much!
Amanda

Answer
Hi Amanda,

It sounds as though the only place to position the television is to the right side of the fireplace. If you're working with a flat screen, use a low-rise table to support it and if possible, avoid blocking the window on that side of the fireplace.  The love seat and sofa could be positioned in an "L" shape, using the love seat as the piece that sits perpendicular to the fireplace and the sofa facing the fireplace.  The chair can sit at an angle on the far right wall.    If that appears crowded, you may want to consider mounting the television to the far right wall, eliminating the stand and angling the chair out into the room.  Hope this helps you, and that it all works out.

Thanks for writing.
Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik