Decorating & Furniture/painting hallways

QUESTION: Hi Jenny, the entryway to my house opens up to the livingroom on the right side, and hallways(first floor and second floor) and stairway. I just recently painted my livingroom, and would like to know if both hallways need to be painted the same color as the livingroom?
Also, the hallway on the first floor leads to the family room, does the paint color need to be the same color as the family room or livingroom? I send you some pictures to give you a better idea.

ANSWER: Hi Elsa,

The short answer is no - the hallways do not need to be painted the same color as the living OR the family room.  The hallways should be a complementary color but not necessarily the same.  One thing you should consider is painting the inside of the niche (where the dolls are now) in the living room color to pull the two together.  Then use a complementary shade of paint on the rest of the stairwell.  With paint, you start and stop a color at a natural point - i.e., a corner.

QUESTION: Hi Jenny, now that I know that the hallways don't have to be the same color as the livingroom, do both hallways need to be painted the same color? What would be some nice paint colors for the hallways and stairwell that would complement with the livingroom? I painted my livingroom in sandstone cove from behr. I attached a picture of the livingroom for a better idea on the paint color.

Both hallways do not have to be painted the same; again start and stop paint at a natural point like a corner or a wall, or a division like a doorway.  The Behr color is beautiful.  I'd suggest using another color from that swatch (just go darker or lighter - up or down on the color sample).  Staying within the same "color" and simply changing the intensity or hue of that color is always a sure winner.  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology