Decorating & Furniture/wall color

We moved into a brand new home a year ago.  The entire house is painted woth cheap flat paint that most builders use.  The entire house is painted in a cream color and all crown molding, molding around the windows and the doors are a darker sort of mustard color.  This goes well throughout the house. We have to repaint within the next year or so.  I am starting to think about colors.  AM I stuck with the color molding that exists because it is througout the house?  For example I would like to do a pink in my daugheter's room, but we would have to change the color of the base boards, door fram and door ...then this will deviate for the color palette throughout the house

Hi Kesha,

There are no "have to's" when it comes to decorating your own home, unless you are putting your house on the market.  Obviously that isn't the case here, so you can paint your child's room any color you'd like.  

Typically builders use Navajo White in flat and paint trims in a matching gloss finish.  Your builders obviously deviated from that.  All trims including moldings, doors, window sashes etc. are typically the same throughout a home.  Why your builders opted for a mustard color is beyond me.  My suggestion would be to repaint all the trims (except your daughter's room) to a bright white in a gloss or semi-gloss finish.  Regardless of wall color, this will look best.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology