Decorating & Furniture/COORDINATING COLORS AND PATTERNS

Question
I have a cognac colored leather sofa and dark leather recliner.  All the furniture is darker stain, walls are white, fireplace with beautiful trim detail from floor to ceiling (white in color), as well as white crown molding. I recently purchased bluish-gray (actual color is "Rocky River")faux silk curtains from Target. They have an hour-glass geometric design embroidered in brown/cognac vertically. I purchased two throw pillows in "rocky river" to match curtains. The pillows have geometric embroidered spiral circles that spiral in color from brown to cognac to a little bit of lighter beige/sand color in the center of the circles. There are only about four circles of varying size on each pillow. I really like the curtains with the sofa, but am struggling to come up with some other pillows to brighten up the sofa. The geometric circle pillows look nice, but the whole look needs something to brighten it up.  Also, I would like to know what color you would suggest for my walls.  I would like to use a color that would add contrast to the crown molding and fireplace.  I was thinking of a lighter warm shade of sand/tan.  I have two windows in my living room, which even with the new curtains allows a lot of light.  My room is probably 18 x 18. Also, my living room opens to my kitchen and I was wondering what color paint you would suggest for the eat-in kitchen.  White cabinets and crown molding, white counter tops and medium to light colored laminate floors. We have wallpaper, which has got to go.  Lots of light in the kitchen, big picture window in eating area and French doors leading to deck.  Nice sized kitchen.  I would really like a bold color, but don't know what color palette to go with since I have the cognac, brown, and blue in the living room...so confusing.  Any ideas?  

Answer
Hi Kelly, sorry for the late reply.  For the wall colour, I would go with the bluish-gray that you have in your curtains.  Choose a colour that has a warm gray undertone with a hint of blue in it.  Sorry I can't give you an exact colour as you would have to match that closely with the curtains.  If you want a bolder colour for the kitchen, stick with a colour that's in the same family as the choosen living room colour but brighter in tone and intensity.

I also offer an 'Ask the Decorator' service on my website. I would be happy to be of further assistance to you if needed.
Thank you, for your time.

Shamim Razvi
The Eighth Haven
www.eighthaven.com

Decorating & Furniture

Shamim Razvi