Decorating & Furniture/Floor choice w/natural cherry cabinets

Question
flooring options w/cabinets
flooring options w/cab  
I just installed Kraftmaid cherry cabinets w/natural stain in my small kitchen (almost 10x10). Now it's time to figure out the floor. We have three large dogs so I'm focused on laminate. My partner likes Dupont Elite Walnut. I like it too but I'm worried it will be too much grain in the small space. The kitchen is U-shaped with one side of the U being a penisula that opens up to a larger living and dining area, which we also cover with the same laminate. Another option is Dupont Elite Brazilian Cherry, which is darker with less grain and contrasts a bit more with the cabinets.  Maybe we should go lighter or consider different flooring like tile? I thought having the space with all one flooring would make it bigger but now I'm wondering if it will just distract from the beautiful cabinets. The attached photo has the walnut floor sample next to the cabinet. Any suggestions?  Thank you!

Answer
Hi Ranei,

Thanks for writing and for your question.  Thanks too for the photo which allows me to see exactly the grain, color and pattern in the cabinets and flooring samples.

First of all, I agree that laminate is the best option, and I would urge you to use the same laminate style/color throughout the space.  It will indeed make the room appear larger.  

I have to select the Cherry rather than the Walnut sample.  The Walnut is more intricate in pattern and indeed competes with the cabinetry.  The Cherry adds some contrast because of its richer tone, while still allowing the cabinetry to take center stage.  

My vote - cherry.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik